Friday, July 13, 2012

Giétroz et Finhaut

The Road Less Traveled
The climb to Giétroz is the toughest mile I can ever recall doing.  I did it last year on my way to Emosson, until I realized it was not the regular route., and now I fully understand why.  MapMyRide says 12% grade, but locals claim 14%.  I tend to believe the locals.  MapMyRide has ben wrong compared to The Tour on some climbs and this felt much harder than other 12% climbs.  Fortunately it was just over a mile, but that sure does wipe you out.


DistanceElevationGrade
CatStartEndLengthMin Max Avg.Max
Category 30.6270335127 Climb 0.00 mi1.10 mi1.10 mi3,212 ft3,922 ft12.2%--


In retrospect it seems that 8 miles @ 8% is more manageable than 1.2 miles at 12%. 


These 3 switchbacks were fun.  They always look worse then they are.  Switchbacks actually give a chance to change things up.  If you need a breather then take the outside where it evens out the grade, or take the inside for a quicker initial pace before the pace pitches up again.  I still get a kick out of remembering watching a compact car need to do a 3-point turn to make it through.



Finhaut is quaint little town on the hillside where getting from one side to the other also requires a little climbing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment