Monday, July 30, 2012

Annecy to Col de la Forclaz

The girls wanted to spend the afternoon sightseeing and shopping in Annecy.  Haute Transfer (http://www.hautetransfer.com/) made the trip effortless and worry-free for them.  With that being done I had some time on my hands to enjoy a nice ride.  I was lucky enough to have Charlie working the trip, so when I caught wind of that I told him he needed to bring his bike so we could ride Forclaz together. 

To clarify, there are two different Col de la Forclaz, the one between Chamonix and Martigny, and this one in Annecy.  In the 2009 Tour de France, Annecy played host to Stage 18, a time trial around the lake.  Col de la Forclaz has been a climb on many stages of the Tour throughout the years as well.

Leaving from Annecy is beautiful.  I had been here once before, years ago but only for a few hours.  As I rode along the lake I'm reminded why the Tucker and Verhaaren families are so fond of this place.  We set out along Annecy next to the lake.  It was a nice, yet warm day (in the 90's).  The park and the beaches along the lake were crowded, and I'd soon get a reminder of the heat again.



The path was nice and relaxing, but after a couple miles I wanted to get on with the ride, enough of the traffic-calming measures.

Just prior to the turn up the climb I quickly recognized the paragliding school and landing-zone where I flew years ago.  Not a single thermal that morning back then, but one of the best flights in my life.  Many wings and pilots can be seen in the distance, with one paraglider seconds from landing.



We've taken care of the beginning of the climb already, but when you see racers names painted on the road you know something good must lie ahead.  At this point we're 6 miles into the ride, and 2 miles into the climb.  Let the fun begin!

Certainly a beautiful overlook, but I have to admit I took most of these photos on the way down, not the way up.  The better the view, the steeper the climb, and I was in no mood to fiddle with the camera while trying to climb.

Charlie and I rode next to each other most of the ride.  We were chatting at first, then eventually as the rode got steeper, and I became shorter of breath, I also became more quiet.  With a couple miles to go Charlie started pulling away.  I wasn't trying to beat him up the hill, but I did want to keep him in view.  Later on after we finished I told him I was ready for him to stop for a break at any time but I wasn't about to ask for it.  Then when by the time he made a corner and disappeared from my sight I contemplated a break, but passed on the idea when I realized I had less than a mile to go. 

Once at the top we were met by a young cyclist from Netherlands, on holiday with his family.  Joram Bosker came up Forclaz from the other side of the road.  I told him how crazy the Dutch are and how they were the loudest cheering section of the Alpe d'Huez the previous year.  He didn't argue the point.

Charlie and I in front of the monument before descending.

Another great spot for paragliding.






While the ride was an enjoyable 24 miles, the climb is only 10 miles of it.  The easiest of it at 2.0% and the hardest at 12.6%, with an average in the low 6%.  One of the most beautiful climbs I've done!










No comments:

Post a Comment